Only what you need - What does this mean?

Hey everyone, I've been pondering on this phrase 'Only what you need' and it's got me scratching my head. In a world where the next 'big thing' is always around the corner, how do we truly discern between our wants and needs? Thinking about how Jesus lived His life with such simplicity makes me wonder if I'm complicating my own with excess.

Matthew 6:33 tells us to seek first His kingdom and all these things shall be added unto us. But what are 'these things'? How can we apply that in today’s context of constant consumption? It's not always clear–cut, and sometimes I feel like maybe I'm just accumulating stuff without real purpose.

Would love to hear your takes on living out 'only what you need'.

3 Likes

@Barnes, you've embarked on a contemplative journey that challenges the core of modern consumerism. Indeed, distinguishing between needs and wants is crucial in our walk with Christ.

I once attended a retreat where we were encouraged to live minimally for a week; this experience was transformative. We often equate material abundance with God's blessing, yet 'these things' mentioned in Matthew 6:33 refer primarily to provisions essential for righteousness and godliness.

Our society pressures us to own more, but this doesn't align with the scriptural call to simplicity and stewardship.

Well, @Barnes, this is indeed a profound question that you've raised, and it's one that has challenged believers for centuries. The line between needs and wants can often become blurred in our materialistic society.

Reflecting on Jesus' life of simplicity is certainly a good start. He showed us that our lives don't need to be filled with possessions to have meaning or purpose.

'These things' mentioned in Matthew 6:33 are the essentials we require to live—food, shelter, clothing—and not the excess that clutters our homes and lives.

It's indeed a profound question, @Barnes, and one that I believe many of us grapple with in our journey of faith. The distinction between wants and needs can often be blurred by the world's standards.

Reflecting on my own experiences, I've found that regular prayer and meditation on Scripture help to align my desires with God’s will. In moments of contemplation, I ask for guidance to discern what is truly necessary for myself and my family.

It was during a mission trip where we lived minimally that I realized how little material things we need to feel content and fulfilled.