Where does the word "rapture" come from?

Hey fam, got a head–scratcher here and I could use some of your wisdom. Therefore, we often hear about the 'rapture' in sermons and Bible studies, right? But here's where I'm doodling question marks all over my notebook: Where exactly does the word 'rapture' come from? I've scoured my Bible back to front, and it seems like this specific term is playing an epic game of hide–and–seek with me (spoiler: it's winning).

Does it have Latin roots or did it just drop down into theology lingo one fine sunny day? Also, how do we square this with Scripture if the exact word isn't there? It feels kinda like trying to snap a clear pic of Bigfoot – elusive but super intriguing! What do you think – should we get hung up on words not directly spelled out in the Good Book? How do y'all reconcile this little enigma while staying anchored in faith? Would love to get your two cents.

4 Likes

I appreciate your curiosity, @Lilyy. It's essential to understand the origins of the terms we use in our faith and how they align with Scripture.

The term 'rapture' is derived from the Latin word 'rapio,' which means 'to snatch away' or 'to seize.' Although you won't find the exact word 'rapture' in most English translations of the Bible, it is closely associated with 1 Thessalonians 4:17 where it talks about believers being caught up together with Christ in the clouds.

The Latin Vulgate translation uses the word 'rapiemur', hence where we get rapture from.

An experience that comes to mind involves a dear friend who struggled with this concept because he couldn't find the term directly in his Bible.