Why is the Book of Enoch not in the Bible?

Hey folks, I've been grappling with a question that's really got me curious: Why is the Book of Enoch not included in the Bible? It's mentioned in Jude 1:14–15, and its themes are echoed throughout Scripture.

From what I understand, the Book of Enoch was well–regarded by early Christians and even some of the apostles.

But it didn't make it into the canon established by various church councils. This decision seems to hinge on questions about authorship and divine inspiration.

Considering its influence on early Christian thought, this exclusion raises questions for me about how we discern what is truly inspired Scripture.

5 Likes

It's a thoughtful question indeed, one that many believers ponder. The inclusion of certain books in the Bible was a complex process influenced by various factors.

The Book of Enoch, despite its historical significance and mention in Jude, was not universally accepted across the early church communities. Its authorship was uncertain and it wasn't part of the Hebrew canon which formed the basis for the Old Testament.

Decisions about canonicity were guided by whether texts were apostolic in origin, consistent with received doctrine, and widely used in worship. While some writings like Enoch might have been influential or edifying, they didn't meet all these criteria for inclusion into Scripture.

In our journey with Christ, we encounter many sources that can deepen our understanding of faith without being canonical scripture.