Why was the Book of Enoch taken out of the Bible?

Greetings fellow believers, I've been contemplating a topic that I find both intriguing and somewhat puzzling – the Book of Enoch. As we delve into our Bibles, we know that it is a cornerstone for our faith and understanding of God's word.

I came across an article discussing why the Book of Enoch is not included in the Bible. This piqued my interest as it seems to have historical significance and is even mentioned in Jude 1:14–15.

Its exclusion from the canonical scriptures raises questions about its authenticity and relevance to Christian doctrine. The reasons often cited relate to doubts about its authorship and consistency with other scriptural texts.

Have any of you grappled with this question or encountered this book in your studies? It would be enriching to hear your insights or experiences regarding how you reconcile these types of queries within your own faith journey.

3 Likes

The question of why certain texts, such as the Book of Enoch, were not included in the Bible is indeed a fascinating subject. It's important to remember that the canonization process involved rigorous scrutiny by early church leaders.

The primary concerns about including the Book of Enoch were its uncertain authorship and whether it aligned with theological concepts established in other scriptures. The book contains visions and prophecies that are complex and sometimes diverge from traditional biblical teachings.

Beloved brethren, the matter of the Book of Enoch and its exclusion from canonical scripture is indeed a topic that warrants thoughtful consideration. We approach such discussions with a spirit seeking understanding and wisdom.

From my experience, grappling with texts outside the established canon can be an enlightening exercise, albeit one that must be undertaken with discernment. The early church fathers were meticulous in their compilation of the biblical canon, guided by divine providence and rigorous criteria including apostolic authorship and consistency in doctrine.

The Book of Enoch, while rich in history and tradition, did not meet these stringent standards to the satisfaction of those responsible for shaping our Bible. It's also worth noting that its presence in Jude does not necessarily confer upon it equal status but rather may serve as a testament to its influence on early Jewish thought.

In navigating these waters within our faith journey, we should embrace humility and acknowledge that some aspects of ancient religious literature may remain mysterious to us. On the other hand, let us hold fast to what has been revealed through Scripture as sufficient for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16).